*

*
******Behind the Moon BEADWORKS is proud to announce that a portion of proceeds from all purchases will now be donated to support the K-Love radio ministries! Thank you for your support!******

Monday, September 17, 2012

I find rest


I've often thought that it would be best to live somewhere where it is warm all the time since I really am not a fan of the cold.  But in all reality I would really miss the changing of the seasons.  I am one of those people that actually like when the stores are busting out the Halloween stuff in August.  
Gets me geared up for what's to come :)
And I'm totally in love with Fall.  
The warm cozy sweaters, the cool breezes, the smell of the leaves, and the oncoming of harvest time ultimately leading to a period of rest.

As moms, rest is something that often alludes us.  I don't mean to exclude those that are not mothers by any means, but I found my life took on a whole new meaning of busy when I had kids.  Not only the physical demands but the mental as well.  My brain never stops thinking about the never ending list of things to do.  I check a few things off only to end up adding more.  


When thinking of rest in the past, I would envision days at the spa or shopping and lunch dates with the girls.  But let's be real, that's just not going to happen very often.  Lucky for me I found that rest is not restricted to a specific activity or location.  
It is a state of mind.  
And that my friends is something I can indeed have.

Quieting my mind is the best way I can rest.  I've found that being present in my current situation is actually rest for me.  Letting go of the mental list.  Focusing on one thing.  I think multi-tasking is over-rated anyway.  To really stop and fully engage yourself in the moment is where it's at.  
That elusive resting place I've been trying to find.


It doesn't need to be a fancy trip to the spa, it can be a simple as watching 20 minutes of TV with my family before bed.  Sitting all together on the couch, that physical contact, and all engaging in that one shared experience, that can be restful.  Or taking some time to spend one-on-one with an animal.
I'm definitely an advocate for having a pet in your life.  They are such wonderful creatures and add immeasurable joy to your life.  Even if I can fit only 5-10 minutes of sitting and petting Lord Seamus, I am better for it.  It's like his peace and contentment seeps into me or something :)

A quiet mind is something I'm still working on but I can see some of the benefits already.

How do you find rest?

*Side note: I've lived in my current home for 6 years and never tasted these apples from our apple tree until this past weekend.  Oh. My. Delicious.  I ended up making a heavenly apple crisp with them.  Why did it take me so long to give them a try?  Ridiculous.  I have a feeling we'll be having a lot of apple crisp from now on ;)

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you've found the peace within to be able to sit back and relax. I hope it lasts a long time for you. I love the crisp nights cuddling with the family on the couch with blankets. It is heaven. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to think resting was a day at the spa too :) But now, rest is really anytime I'm alone. I don't have to do anything for anyone, and anything I choose to do is for myself...even if it is cleaning :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still trying to discover ways to "quiet" my mind. It's hard though because even when I found peace (mostly while running), my mind still churns. I'm glad that you've found some rest even if it's only for 5 minutes!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It

Related Posts with Thumbnails